I can’t wait to share the invitation that I just finished designing. This twine will make an appearance.
It was shipped to me mighty fast and it came with these extra goodies. I love.love.love getting extra goodies with a purchace!
In fact, if I were to have a list of favorite things, “getting extra goodies in the mail” would probably be on it. It’s nothing much, just some stickers and a few pieces of twine, but it’s the surprise of it, that makes my day!
Thanks Whisker Graphics. You have made a believer out of me.
I am not an overachiever. Sometimes I wish I were, and I feel like, with a little more hutzpa, I could be. But alas, working long hours. pushing myself to exhaustion, it’s just not me. Even as I say this, I am rethinking it…maybe, someday, I can be — nope. I am accepting who I am.
Yes, there are times when pushing oneself and working extra hours becomes necessary, but on the whole, I have learned that it is best for me to schedule myself enough time to keep this from happening.
I end up feeling drained and lousy.
And regretting the decision to start SLD. Not where I want to be.
I was back to work today after a long, somewhat unplanned hiatus.
AND.IT.FELT.GREAT. Like amazing and perfect being back to work. I came up with some new designs to include in the first shipment of subscriptions due out soon.
Only 12 days late, BUT finally feeling inspired and excited for 2012!
Here’s what will be happening this year, starting with the coolest thing:
- A new baby will be born in July!! So far my pregnancy has been icky, just looking in the direction of the computer would make me want to run for the loo. Thus explains my absence, and also my uncertainty for the frequency of posts moving forward. I am hoping to get back in the groove. But I have been so.tired, like in.my.bones.tired. So I make no promises. Don’t worry though, I would never let my lack-o-energy get in the way of perfecting your invitations, so have no fear in that department.
- More invitations and party goodies! In a perfect world, I would have had a new line of wedding and party stationery and supplies all ready to be launched in time for the spring and summer soirees, but I am operating on a new schedule. Either way, I am going to get back to my original dream for SLD and get a good portfolio of invites together and work on some party supplies packages of decorations and such.
- I will still be making note cards, but my focus will be on creating wedding suites and party supplies. As a result, I will probably be cutting back on the craft shows, but we will see how it all plays out.
So these are the biggies for SLD and my life. It is good to be back.
And I will leave you with these words of wisdom (i think intended for a child’s nursery, but it fits)
I just treated myself to some new earrings.
I am always saying I want to buy more handmade, and since I make impulse purchases for stuff like this in big boxes…I figured, why not do in on etsy. It’s been a long week and it was fun to buy something, just because, and… maybe, following impulses like this will help me to do it less in the big boxes.
Speaking of handmade and big boxes… have you heard of Slavery Footprint? This site came across my computer recently (…Etsy’s blog i think??), and it intrigued me. So I took the survey. It is eye opening. A little depressing, but it reminded me that I want to try and do as much handmade shopping and gift giving this year as I can. (NOTE- I am not suggesting that buying handmade will eliminate the problem of slavery. I am just saying it helps in a small way, it is a starting point.)
Buying everything handmade can get pricey. I know. And hand-making everything your self requires a lot of time and skills. Going handmade is a commitment.
But don’t worry, I am going to be highlighting some gift ideas that are moderately priced and some tutorials for things you can make. So you are all set for this season!! Be sure to check back for updates, and before you head to that big ol’retailer, just check to see what you can find on etsy, or at a local gift shop, you might be surprised what you find.
So back to those adorable button earrings. Great gift idea (not for me though, cause I already got some). So affordable, so much variety in styles and they allow you to wear fabric on your ears! …sure they might be a bit trendy right now, but who cares, they’re cute.
Check ’em out
from elbee design
from buena helena (local here in rochester!!)
I am no marketing specialist, so I am just going to come right out and say it, I need 2 things.
1. This survey to be completed by as many people as possible
2. To hit 100 fans in time for the holiday’s.
Shameless, I know.
I am offering some goodies in return for your help. Each of the following tasks earns you 10% off
- Fill out the survey
- Become a fan on Facebook for the first time
- Post a message on you Facebook page, telling your friends why they should “like” SLD. (Be sure to use the @SevenLayerDesigns function so I see that you posted it.)
- Recruit a friend to join (earn 10% off for up to 3 friends.)
Here’s the special part…. you can combine all the discounts for a total of up to 50% off a single item. Also, you can save your discount until the end of the year, so you can use it for gifts, holiday cards, or a special post holiday splurge.
Confused? Me too.
- survey = 10% off
- new fan on facebook = 10% off
- fb post = 10% off
- a friend joins b/c of you = 10% off
- a friend joins b/c of you = 10% off
- a friend joins b/c of you = 10% off
Discount not to exceed 50% – can be used on any item in the esty shop. Expires Dec 31 2011.
Deadline to earn discounts is October 15th.
Send me an email by Oct 15 with a list of the discounts you earned, please include names of the friends you refered. I will quickly verify and send you a discount code for you to use at your leisure.
So, what are you still here for, better get to work!
1. This week, I pre-ordered the silhouette cameo. I AM SO EXCITED!! After much discussion on which cutting machine to purchase, I decided on the silhouette, and back when I decided (july I think), the Cameo had just been announced for release in October. So when I was offered the opportunity to pre-order with free shipping… DONE. I can’t wait to see what fun new things I can do with this machine. YIPPEE. And now that it’s October…I am, getting closer to getting my hands on this machine. I just can’t wait! Thanks to anyone who bought something from SLD over the past year…this was your anniversary present to us.
2. I have decided to start putting some spare time into my etsy shop. I am going to be honest, I have had mixed feelings about etsy. I set up my shop really to have a place to send clients, not as a place to get recognized. It is such a big pond to stand out in. I am not exactly sure why, but I have been hesitant to put too much time and energy into my shop…skeptical maybe, I am not one to jump on trendy things. Nothing against Etsy, it is a great place and handmade is a great great thing.
Well, now I am thinking that over the next 6 months or so, I am going to put more time in and see if I can increase some of my traffic. I have set a budget (a pretty low one for now) and some goals for my shop, like new listings and improving my photos, tags and descriptions for searches. I will spend some time on advertising and showcasing my products. I am going to actually read the “etsy success” newsletter and start taking advantage of the other educational opportunities and tips available on the site and slowly make improvements to my shop. Looking forward to being more connected with the community and seeing if my shop benefits from my efforts. I will let you know how it goes. So far I am really enjoying it. It’s fun.
3. The creative slump and general rut has lifted. I am making and working and have all kinds of ideas again! This makes me a happy camper.
3. and lastly, I love embroidery hoops.
kuko the brave
Thinking about something like this for Christmas this year, with a tree, or ornaments or something festive.
via design editor
via Martha Stewart
Follow my board on Pinterest if you love them too.